Have a few extra pumpkins you’re not sure what to do with? Try this easy backyard bird feeder activity!
- Small to medium sized pumpkin, up to 10 pounds
- Small sticks
- Twine or rope
- Optional: Pumpkin painting supplies
- Cut the pumpkin in half.
- Scoop out the seeds, leaving a hollow inside with 1/2-inch thick shell wall. (You can roast the seeds and enjoy them for a snack!)
- If you want to decorate, go ahead and paint the bird feeder with your own unique design.
- Insert two sticks across the open pumpkin to create perches for the birds.
- Knot two lengths of rope together at the center and tack the knot to the bottom of the pumpkin feeder. Hang the other ends of the rope in your chosen feeder location.
- Fill with birdseed.
- Watch who comes to visit your bird feeder! Can you identify each bird?