Ancient Egyptians made their own paper, called papyrus. This thick style of paper was made from the stalks of the papyrus plant. These ancient papers were used to make scrolls. You can try making your own paper with basic materials you have at home.
- School glue
- Brown paper bag
- Flat-bottomed bowl or pan
- Paper towels
- Newspaper or screens
- Mix equal amounts of school glue and water in a flat-bottomed bowl, dish, or pan. A baking dish works well.
- Tear a brown paper bag into thin strips.
- Lay a paper towel on top of newspaper or a screen.
- Dip the brown paper bag strips into the glue mix.
- Lay these wet strips on top of the paper towel. Make sure to overlap the edges.
- Press the strips and edges together until smooth.
- Allow your paper to air dry.
- Once dry, you are ready to decorate your paper! Why not try drawing some of your own hieroglyphics?