Take painting with the kids to a whole new level of fun with this scratch-and-sniff paint recipe! This paint is incredibly easy to make. Best of all, it is safe for even the smallest of children.
- Kool-aid/flavored drink mix packets (in a variety of colors/flavors)
- In a small bowl, mix one-half of a drink mix packet with one tablespoon of cornstarch and ¼ cup of water.
- Stir well.
- No scratching is really required, as the scent is usually very detectable. However gentle rubbing after your art is dry will “reactivate” the scent.
Quick Mixing Guide:
This recipe is easily adaptable. You can play with the proportions to change the consistency, scent, and color of your paint to tailor to your personal preferences.
- Add more drink mix to create a stronger scent and a darker color.
- Use less drink mix to decrease color and scent.
- Add more cornstarch for thicker paint.
- Use less cornstarch (or omit, using more water) for a thinner paint.
Store any leftover paint in a sealed plastic container. The cornstarch will settle at the bottom over time. Simply stir well before painting. If paint appears to dry out, add more water.