Under Drake’s Flag – 3
Disc 1 (Track 7), Disc 2 (Tracks 1-3)
By Jodie Wolfe
The next portion of Ned and Gerald’s journey is wrought with adventure, struggles, and the need to think quickly and come up with a plan in order to save themselves and those they are with. This time we journey with them through the deep jungles and arrive at the coast before they meet up with their next wrinkle in their story. It’s one you won’t want to miss.
Barricade, glade, insidious, jungle, maize, plantation, shipwrecked, signal fire, slavery, and vaya con Dios.
“Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied.” 1 Samuel 17:45 (KJV)
Elisha said, “Don’t be afraid, for those who are with us outnumber those who are with them.” 2 Kings 6:16 (HCSB)
Joshua son of Nun secretly sent two men as spies from the Acacia Grove, saying, “Go and scout the land, especially Jericho.” So they left, and they came to the house of a woman, a prostitute named Rahab, and stayed there. Joshua 2:1 (HCSB)
- Kojo Kinte first thought of Ned and Gerald as boys, but then he decides they are men because of their bravery. Read about a boy in the Bible who also showed bravery – 1 Samuel 17.
- In the last stronghold/stand by the Africans, a runner shares his fears about the number of Spaniards they’ll be facing, as well as wolfhounds. Read about a fearful servant in the Bible – 2 Kings 6:8-33.
- 12 Africans were chosen to hold off the invaders. Find five verses in the Bible that deal with the number twelve and memorize them.
- Donna Anna was said to be a spy. Read about other spies in the Bible – Joshua 2. Are there any other scriptures that deal with spies?
- What does the Bible say about mercy?
- Ned and Gerald find themselves shipwrecked. Write a story about a shipwreck. Pretend you and your family are the lone survivors on an island. What do you do?
- In the scenes with Donna Anna and her father, the saying “Vaya con Dios” comes up. Find out what this means. Learn ten different Spanish words.
- Look up the word ‘insidious’ and learn the meaning.
- Ned said, “If we are not men of honor, we are not men at all.” What saying can you come up with in regard to morals?
- Go to your local library and find books about jungles. What is unique about them? Make a list of the types of plants and animals that can be found in them. What types of reptiles reside there?
- Kojo Kinte talks about wolf hounds, a mix of wolf and dog, trained to take down a man quickly. Research wolfhounds. How is this domestic dog different than the ones described in the audio drama?
- What is the common name for maize? Plant a kernel of corn. How long does it take to germinate?
- How were signal fires used in the audio drama? What components are needed to create a fire?
- Gerald and Ned descend to Arica with the mule train. How is a mule different from a horse? Research and discuss your findings with a parent.
- Identify Africa on your map.
- Research and learn about the history of slavery.
- Find the Strait of Magellan on your map. In what country is it located?
- The boys planned to travel to Arica. Locate it on the map.
- Donna Anna mentions traveling to Lima. In what country is it located? Identify it on your map.
- In the final fight with the Spaniards, the Africans were outnumbered 10 to 1. What mathematical term is this called?
- What is the distance between Arica and Lima? Calculate in miles and yards.
- Paint a picture of a shipwreck.
- Draw a picture of a wolfhound.
- The Africans hold up in the mountains to defeat the Spaniards. Draw a picture depicting this final battle.
- Paint a picture of the ocean and what you think it looked like when Ned and Gerald saw it.